Monday, July 30, 2007

Halifax Trip

HALIFAX






This year the family took a trip to the Halifax area and I had some time to spend with one of my dearest and closest friends, Elaine. She and I were almost inseparatable while I lived in the Maritimes and even though we now live 1500 kms apart, we still communicate frequently through MSN Messenger, e-mail and occasionally by phone. It was wonderful to see her after such a long time. Like me, she isn't fond of getting her photo taken but we were able to manage a few snapshots.





One of the places we visited was downtown Halifax. I had spent a fair bit of time there when I left my relationship and lived in an apartment downtown Dartmouth. I would often take the ferry across and spend time window shopping and visiting the Halifax Farmer's Market. Theodore Two has been part of Halifax Harbour for a long time but it took moving back to Ottawa to have me visit it. Here Elaine and I are sitting by Theodore Two.


THE OVENS


We also took time to visit the 'Ovens' which is caves carved by the sea. In high tide, the sounds are defening but we were there just as the tide was starting to come in. The nature trail that travels along the shore line is absolutely stunning to walk! The lookouts have some of the most picturesque sights I have seen in the Maritimes.


We spent a couple hours there just enjoying the lanscape and stretching our legs.
















LUNENBURG
Lunenburg was also amazing to see. The Tall Ships were in port at Lunenburg and they were even graced with Pirates! The ships were lined along the docs and for a small fee we were able to get close and see these beauties.




















While in Nova Scotia we stayed at Paul's place. He lives in a family homestead that is a little over 100 years old. Though the place is equiped with an oil furnace, Paul often heats by wood using this antique wood stove. I remember cooking a few breakfasts on this stove and surprising Paul with my abilities. Toast, coffee, eggs and bacon were all made on this stove during White Juan. While there, Elaine made a beautiful quilt for Mom. Here she is presenting the quilt and Mom was completely shocked by Elaine's generousity. Elaine has always had a soft heart and has often been over-generous with her time and all that is hers. There is a lot of time and love that went into this quilt by Elaine and I have no doubt that Mom will not only appreciate it but treasure it for a long time. While staying at Paul's, I had another visitor, Lexi. Lexi is the pup that I had while living with my ex. She is a beautiful cockerspaniel that has a heart of gold. Unlike many cockerspaniels which tend to be nippy and overly protective of her family, this pup loves everyone and at times, I think she and I still have a special bond. It was wonderful to see her again and to feel the softness of her fur. I think Elaine sent her to the beauty parlor before she came to visit!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home