Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Letter from a dog

I just finished reading Letter from a Dog and I can't help but wonder why?  Why do people people wait until the end to make a day special?  Our time with these companions is far too short that we need to enjoy and appreciate more of the time we have with them.  It is an honour and a privilege to have them with us.  I like to think that this would be my dog's letter to me....

Sam's letter to his person

I woke up today and I was sore.  I was quite content being curled up with my person while she gently stroked my fur and scratched my ears.  "Good morning Sam" I hear her say.   I can barely move but I get up and give her the usual morning kisses.  We have our usual morning snuggle routine filled with pets, scratches and kisses before we start our day; I love this little daily ritual!

We get up and I wobble my way to the edge of the bed,  I look down and I know I can't successfully jump from the bed to the floor today.  My person looks at me as I stood there looking down and says "I got you sweetie!" and picks me up, kisses me and places me on the floor.  I stretch and slowly follow my person to the bathroom and sit and watch as she brushes her hair and her teeth before heading downstairs.  I stop at the top of the stairs  "I'm too stiff and sore to travel all those steps!"   Three-quarters of the way down, she stops and turns to look at me.  She smiles and says "I got you sweetie."  She returns to me and carries me down to the main floor.

I watched as she starts her morning routine, washing food and water bowls and pulling out the food for everyone.  She places a bowl down for me and I smell the beef, liver and vegetables she cooked for me and that white stuff she calls probiotics that she says is to help my sensitive tummy and helps keep me healthy.  I like everything she cooks for me but beef is my favourite.  I finish my meal and she has one of my favourite organic pumpkin cookies waiting for me that she baked just last week! She calls it my dessert.  I always look forward to the cookie but I only get it if I clean up my plate!

She takes me outside and I do my business at the designated place.  She always praises me when I remember to go where I should.  We go back inside and she sits on the floor with me and giggles. She starts to massage my shoulders and back and gently stretch my legs the way my chiropractor taught her.  It feels soooo good! She talks to me as she works the stiffness from my body and tells me she is sorry for taking me on too long a hike yesterday.  Are you kidding?  It was incredible!  There was all kinds of new smells and I got to chase a couple of butterflies and crickets and almost got that pesky squirrel that was taunting me!  If she would have only let the leash go I would have had him!   I did catch that grasshopper; boy it tasted awful! We hiked and explored and then hiked some more.  And then we got to play fetch along a beach for a while.  She tried to get me to go swimming... ha!  So not happening! At one point we stopped and had a picnic lunch before making our way back to the car. My person shared her snack pack of turkey meat, chunks of ham (yum!), vegetables, cheese, crackers and something she called duck paté; absolutely incredible stuff!... well all but the veggies that is.

We got back to the car and I was so tired from that amazing hike!  She opened the car door for me and I ran up to it but stopped and looked at her!  I was too tired to jump in.  She smiled and said "I got you sweetie" and lifted me into the car.  I happily curled up on my blanket and I think I as asleep before we exited the parking lot!  I dreamt of the hike all over again, it was so amazing!

My person finished my massage and then leaned over and asks me "Well Sweetie, what adventure would you like to go on today?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home